RFID cards are plastic cards that have the dimension of a standard credit card with a RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) chip.
The chips are divided into frequency bands in which they operate:
- LF (Low Frequency at 125 kHZ),
- HF (High Frequency at 13.56 MHz),
- UHF (Ultra High Frequency at 860~960 MHz).
The individual chips then differ in the amount of memory, read distance, additional protection, or other functionalities.
The RFID chips we use the most are:
• 13.56 MHz chips: MIFARE Classic®, NTAG, ICODE®, DESFire®, Ultralight, Fudan F08 . . . .
• 125 kHz chips: EM4200, EM4102, EM4100, TK4100, T5577, EM4550, etc.
• UHF chips: Alien Higgs-3, UCODE 8 and others.
We can combine two chips with different frequency into a single card and produce dual frequency cards.
Printing options for Access Control Cards
For printing on access control cards we usually use three options:
1. Color print with card printers on already produced white cards;
2. Color print with offset technology during the manufacturing process;
3. Monochrome or color print of variable data on white or pre-printed cards (serial numbers, bar codes, personal data, employee photos, etc.).
Color print with Thermal Retransfer Printers for cards
When ordering smaller amounts of printed cards (1–500 pcs.), it is best to print the info onto the already produced white cards with thermo retransfer printers. With this printing technology, we can print single-sided or double-sided color artwork. The printer makes high quality print with bright CMYK colors and the artwork can go from edge-to-edge (there is no white edge).
The advantage of thermo retransfer printers is that they print each card at a time and we can print even a single card when needed. The disadvantages of a thermal retransfer print are the high costs of ribbons and slow speed, so it makes it less cost effective for higher quantities.
Color print with offset technology during the manufacturing process
When you need 500 printed cards or more, it is best to pre-print the cards with offset printing technology and later on personalize them with thermal printers.
Usually, we use digital offset printing with CMYK colors and combine it with silk screen printing when there is a need for gold or silver background colors or special color shades from Pantone scales. The printed artwork with offset printing technology very durable. Since these cards are printed during a manufacturing process, the usual production time is 2–3 weeks.
Serialization or personalization
When there is a need to print variable data on cards (serial numbers, bar codes, QR codes, personal names, etc.) we use special thermal printers with color or monochrome ribbons. The personalization with monochrome ribbons (usually with black color) is fast and inexpensive. For printing employee pictures or company logos we use color ribbons.
Our services include:
- Numeration or personalization from an Excel table
- Printing different kind of barcodes and QR codes
- Reading and printing the chip ID numbers in various formats
- chip encoding – writing the URL address, custom data, change keys.
When reading and printing the chip ID numbers on cards, we take extra care that the reading format is correct for the desired application.
Looking forward to the new cards? Send an email to email@example.com or call +386 41 884 124 and we will be happy to help you.
If you are an integrator or reseller, we offer special discounts.